Design & Technology

Welcome

Welcome to the Design & Technology page. Here you will find out everything you need to know about our department including what we teach and how we assess our pupils.


Aims & Objectives

The overall aim for pupils in D&T is to build their confidence, their knowledge and their practical capability so they can solve practical problems by generating design solutions and manufacturing quality items using ingredients, components, fabrics, raw materials such as wood, metal, plastic and new and smart materials.

What are the aims of each area?

Within each area of D&T all pupils will learn how to investigate a design problem, research relevant details, present design solutions as drawings, computer images and three dimensional outcomes, with skill and within a safe working environment.


Key Stage 3 - Years 7 & 8

What will our pupils study?

In Key Stage 3, pupils will develop their designing and making abilities in a broad range of technologies including Food, Textiles, Resistant Materials, Mechanisms, Electronics and Control Systems. In Food, pupils will focus on Food & Nutrition and developing their practical skills. Pupils will have two lessons each week taught by specialist teachers in all areas.

Curriculum Overview

How will our pupils be assessed?

Years 7 and 8 pupils will be assessed on their ability to investigate problems, research relevant information, present design solutions and manufacture quality items. Overall progress is reflected in National curriculum levels from level 4 to level 7 at intervals throughout the Key Stage.

How have our KS3 pupils progressed so far?

Key Stage 3 Results - D&T
Levels 5 and above
2017

84.5%

Key Stage 4 - Years 9, 10 & 11

What will our pupils study?

Pupils will have two or three lessons each week. Currently there are GCSE groups running in Food Preparation & Nutrition in years 9, 10 and 11.  Design & Technology in years 9 and 10, and GCSE Resistant Materials and Electronics & Control Systems in Year 11. 

Curriculum Overview

How will our pupils be assessed?

All courses are full GCSE's and involve practical design and make controlled tasks.  In year 11, controlled assessments account for 60% of the GCSE, along with written examination papers which account for the remaining 40%. Food Preparation & Nutrition and the new Design and Technology Courses comprise of 50% controlled tasks and 50% examination.

How have our KS4 pupils progressed so far?

Key Stage 4 Results - D&T
A*-C % pass rate
2017
Electronics and Control Systems
63.2%
Resistant Materials
25%
Food Technology
53.8%

What can it lead to?

All Design & Technology courses underpin a number of further and higher education courses and apprenticeships, along with an extensive range of careers in Food and Textile related industries, Engineering, Design and Construction industries.


Accommodation & Resources

All Design & Technology courses are taught by highly experienced subject specialists.

There are two well established workshops for Resistant Materials and Electronics, two dedicated Food rooms, a purpose built Design room with a suite of computers, Laser cutter, 3D printer and a new purpose built room for Textiles.

All rooms have computer access and interactive whiteboards or touch screens.


Summary

Pupils achieve extremely well in Design & Technology gaining 'real world' skills and an increased knowledge of the technologies which permeate the world in which they live. They enjoy acquiring designing and making skills, working safely and confidently as individuals and also as part of a team.